Veg Month 2010
Join Compassionate Action for Animals this October for a month-long celebration of all things veg!
What is Veg Month?
Compassionate Action for Animals is pleased to present Veg Month 2010, a month-long series of events intended to celebrate vegetarian diets, educate the public about compassionate food choices, and inspire respect for farm animals. Throughout the month of October, CAA will be hosting a myriad of veg events in the Twin Cities including a kick-off performance, cooking classes, speakers, dine-outs at local veg-friendly restaurants, and more!
Pledge to be Veg!
Participate in Veg Month by taking our Pledge to be Veg and choosing to eat vegetarian for 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks! Already a vegetarian? We are encouraging vegetarians to try eating vegan during Veg Month. Don't worry, we make it easy! When you Pledge, you receive a Pledge Card that gives discounts at local veg-friendly restaurants and businesses. We also help by sending email updates with recipes and nutrition advice, and providing a supportive community of animal lovers who will be attending our events during the month of October!
Who is Taking the Pledge?
The following people are taking the Pledge to be Veg!
- To be announced...
Calendar of Events
See the event descriptions below or click on each event link:
- Friday, October 1st: Kick-off World of Veg: Tasting Event from 7pm-9pm at University Baptist Church ($5 admission at the door, includes cost of food)
- Sunday, October 3rd: Chicken Sanctuary Tour from 12pm-1pm
- Saturday, October 9th: Vegan After Dark at Jasmine 26 from 8pm-1am
- Tuesday, October 12th: Cooking Class at Van Cleve Community Center from 7pm-9pm - purchase your ticket now!
- Wednesday, October 13th: Isa Chandra Moskowitz Speaker Event from 7:30pm-9pm at Coffman Memorial Union
- Sunday, October 17th: Dine-Out at Evergreen from 7pm-9pm
- Thursday, October 21st: Religious Panel at Harriet Church from 7pm-9pm
- Friday, October 22nd: Vegan After Dark at Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen from 8pm-1am
- Sunday, October 24th: Brunch-out at Triple Rock from 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, October 26th: Cooking Class at Van Cleve Community Center from 7pm-9pm - purchase your ticket now!
Veg Month Updates
Visit this section for the latest updates on Veg Month!
9-16-10: More dates and times set for October VegMonth events, check out the Calendar of Events.
9-2-10: One of two Vegan After Dark events is planned, check it out!
8-24-10: VegMonth Kick-Off Press Release is sent out!
Veg Week 2010 Kick-Off World of Veg Tasting Event
Our Veg Month Kick-off event will be a worldly experience with appetizing samples from around the globe. Attendees will be able to try vegan dishes ranging from Italian eggplant parmesan to Mexican tofu scramble. The event will be held at University Baptist Church on Friday October 1st from 7pm to 9pm. Admission is $5 at the door and that includes the cost of food.
Speaker EventGet vegetarian cooking tips from the best! Isa Chandra Moskowitz, creator of the veg cooking show The Post Punk Kitchen and author of Vegan with a Vengeance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World will be joining us on Wednesday, October 13th at 7:30 pm. Be sure to invite your friends and stop by Coffman Memorial Union Theater to hear Isa talk about ways to make your kitchen more veg-friendly while satisfying your taste buds. Books will be available for purchase and signing following the cooking demonstration.
Veg Campus Game Night and Potluck
What better way to celebrate Veg Month and try some great veg food than with a vegetarian potluck?
Join us on Monday, October 18th from 6pm-10pm [location TBA]
While some food will be provided, everyone is encouraged to bring a vegetarian or vegan dish to share that serves around eight people. Also, it is encouraged, but not necessary, to bring your own plate and silverware. This is a great opportunity to sample dozens of delicious foods, play some great games, and have fun! We'll even be raffling off prizes to those who take the Pledge to be Veg!
More on the potluck TBA.
Veg Cooking Classes
- Tuesday, October 12th: Very Vegan and Mostly Raw at Van Cleve Community Center at 7pm
- Tuesday, October 26th: Halloween Theme at Van Cleve Community Center at 7pm
- Thursday, October 21st from 7pm to 9pm: This panel will focus on the connection between Judaism and animal rights. Judaism is a religion devoted to "Tikkun Olam"-repairing the world. This panel will discuss where animal welfare fits into this Jewish value. Speakers at this time include Rabbi Saks of Temple Israel and Professor Mark Berkson of Hamline University.
Tour of a Local Chicken Sanctuary
Join Veg Week participants on October 3rd from 12pm-1pm for a special guided tour of Chicken Run Rescue. Chicken Run provides domestic fowl - mainly chickens - with temporary shelter and vet care, and locates and screens adopters in the Twin Cities metropolitan area. These birds are victims of neglect, abuse and abandonment, sometimes used as a source of eggs or intended for slaughter, fighting or ritual sacrifice. Chicken Run is the only urban chicken rescue of its kind! You must RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org attend this event!
Dine-outs are a great way to meet like minded people and enjoy the best local vegetarian cuisine. Join us for special Veg Week dine-outs at:
- Sunday, October 17th: Dine-out at Evergreen 7pm-9pm
- Sunday, October 24th: Brunch-out at Triple Rock 10am-12pm
Vegan After Dark
Vegan After Dark is a night time social group just for kicks. Grab yourself a drink, chat with some swell veg heads, and have a little fun. Join us during Veg Week at Jasmine 26 and another location yet to come.
- Jasmine 26 on Saturday, October 9th at 8PM. To RSVP e-mail email@example.com.
- Thom Pham's Wondrous Azian Kitchen on Friday, October 22nd at 8PM. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP!
Don't miss these perfect opportunities to take a break, enjoy extremely delicious food and drinks, and hang out with other Pledgers!
Pledge to be Veg Card Participants
The Pledge to be Veg discount card will be valid starting on the first day of Veg Week, September 29th, for two weeks until October 13th, at over a dozen local restaurants and businesses.
[Note: Not to be combined with any other offers or coupons and not applicable to deliveries.]
- Delights of India - %15
- Himalayan Restaurant - %15
- ...and more to be announced!
Find more info, reviews, and hours for each restaurant and business at VegGuide.org