Veg Week 2011
Join Compassionate Action for Animals October 1st-9th for a week-long celebration of all things veg!
Compassionate Action for Animals (CAA) started our celebration all things veg back in 2004. Over the course of one week we celebrate vegetarian diets, educate the public about compassionate food choices, and inspire respect for farm animals. Events include film screenings, potlucks, dine-outs, cooking classes, and much more. Check out our calendar below for a full list of events and times. CAA also encourages other colleges and communities around the state to take part in the week-long celebration by offering veg-friendly events. If you have any questions about Veg Week or how to set up events in your area, contact Unny.
Participate in Veg Week by taking our Pledge to be Veg and choosing to eat vegetarian for the week! Already a vegetarian? We are encouraging vegetarians to try eating vegan.
Don't worry, we make it easy! When you Pledge, you receive a Pledge Card that gives discounts at local veg-friendly restaurants and businesses. We also help by sending email updates with recipes and nutrition advice, and providing a supportive community of animal lovers who will be attending our events during the first week of October!
Veg Pledge Discount Card
When you take the pledge, you'll get a discount on vegetarian food at the following local restaurants:
- Camdi - 10% off
- Evergreen Chinese - 10% off
- Seward Cafe - 15% off
- Sawatdee Uptown Express - 10% off
- Galactic Pizza - 10% off
- Himalayan Restaurant - 10% off
- Katar River - 10% off
- Delights of India - 10% off entrees, 5-9pm only
- Tao Natural Foods - 10% off
- Sen Yai Sen Lek - 10% off
Who is Taking the Pledge?
The following people are taking the Pledge to be Veg:
- Eve Wolf, Editor, Office of the President of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Cynthia Scott, Associate to the President of the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Vipin Kumar, Head of the Computer Science and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Calendar of Events
See the events below, and click on each link for more details!
- Wednesday, September 28, 10 am to 2 pm: Vegan Food Showcase, West Bank bridgehead, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Saturday, October 1st, 4 to 6 pm: Progress for Farm Animals with Paul Shapiro of the Humane Society in the Mississippi Room in Coffman Memorial Union, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Monday, October 3rd, 7 pm to 8:30 pm: Cooking Class at Van Cleve recreational center
- Tuesday, October 4th, 7 to 8 pm: Shop with a Vegan at the Wedge Co-op
- Wednesday, October 5th, 6:30 to 9 pm: Dine-Out at Everest on Grand. Please note the new day!
- Thursday, October 6th, 10 am to 2 pm: Bake Sale, in the basement of Coffman Union
- Friday, October 7th, 8 pm to midnight: Vegan After Dark at Jasmine 26
- Saturday, October 8th, 1 to 3 pm: Potluck at Van Cleve Recreational Center
- Sunday, October 9th, 1 to 5 pm: Chicken Sanctuary Tour at a local sanctuary