Compassionate Action for Animals is hiring a communications coordinator to help further our mission of encouraging people to cultivate empathy for animals and move toward a plant-based diet. We are seeking a candidate with experience in marketing, writing, editing, project management, and use of social media.
This position is full-time with a salary of $37,000 per year, including 30 days of combined vacation and sick time. There are no additional benefits offered. The position requires attendance at weekly in-person meetings with the executive director and attendance of some organizational events. Other work can be done remotely and scheduling is flexible. This position is based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Demonstrated experience in organizational and/or event marketing
- Project management experience
- A strong desire to educate the public about animal cruelty and compassionate eating choices
- Ability to write for varied audiences and in varied formats such as organizational emails, fundraising appeal letters, and blog posts
- Ability to edit the writing of others
- Ability to manage multiple social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Ability to use audience engagement metrics to improve communications
- Knowledge of design principles and an eye for good design
- The ability to work with volunteers and contractors
- Strong organizational skills and a keen eye for details
- Excellent time-management skills
- Evening and weekend availability
- Basic knowledge of creating content for the web
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient, yet with collaboration skills
- Adherence to our core values, enthusiasm for our strategic plan, and maintenance of a vegan lifestyle
Other skills that are a big plus:
- Experience managing volunteers
- Experience with graphic design, photography, or audio/video production and editing
- Experience with WordPress and/or website redesign
- Experience in fundraising
The communications coordinator manages our social media presence (directly creating many of our posts, creating event pages, and supporting volunteers who assist in managing pages and platforms); writes six to seven organizational email pieces a month; recruits and supports volunteers to write approximately four to six blog posts per month; writes, designs, and/or edits fundraising appeals and copy; writes and edits website copy; writes, designs and/or edits event promotional posters and flyers; provides communications support for CAA’s programs including Twin Cities Veg Fest, Bridges of Respect, and Wholesome Minnesota; coordinates the production of our annual report and annual magazine, Twin Cities Veg Living; coordinates some social events such as dine-outs and potlucks; and coordinates larger communications projects, such as our recent re-branding.
These projects are carried out in consultation with our executive director.
This position requires working with our website, database, planning software, and email lists, as well as the recruitment and supervision of volunteers and contractors. You should be comfortable spending a significant portion of your time using a computer. You should also be comfortable following up with volunteers on a regular basis through phone calls, text messaging, email, social media, and other forms of online communication.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, June 30, 2018.
Submit your resume as an attached PDF, Word document, or Google document. Alternatively, provide a link to a web page or PDF. Please include your cover letter in the body of the email. Your cover letter should explain why you are interested in this position and why you are passionate about working in animal advocacy.
The writing sample (maximum 1,000 words) can be any piece of writing that best demonstrates your writing ability. We are looking for candidates who can write in a style that is clear, concise, engaging, and uses plain language easily understood by the average reader. Submit the writing sample as a PDF, Word document, Google document, or a link to a webpage.
Optionally, if you have samples of your design or project management skills, attach them as a PDF, Word or Google Document, or link to a webpage.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm on Sunday, June 30. We plan to schedule interviews for July 11, 12, and 14 and are willing to schedule video interviews with remote candidates. We will be in touch with all applicants no later than Friday, July 7.