Monday, February 28, 2022
6:30pm - 7:30pm
Need a dish with a little heat to spice up your winter days? Hoppin’ John is a Southern classic dish and a wonderful way to celebrate Black History Month!
Join us for this hour-long, online cooking class as Tamuno walks you through preparing this historic dish which has many variations. Tamuno’s version will include collard greens and it will be 100% vegan.
Class registration is $5, or free for students and people who are unemployed. The class will take place via Zoom and login instructions will be provided after registration. Invite friends on Facebook!
If you’d like to cook along with Tamuno during the class, you’ll need these ingredients:
- 2 cups of black eyed peas
- 2 stalks of collards
- 3 Tbsp of olive oil
- 4 whole carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 whole onion roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 15-oz can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne
- 1/8 tsp of chili powder
- 2 cups of vegetable stock low sodium
- A handful of chopped scallions
- 6 cups of steamed rice brown or white