This vegan cheese recipe by Steve Leinen was featured at Twin Cities Veg Fest 2017. Watch the demo here!
Yields 1/2 cups
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu (not silken)
- ¼ organic refined coconut oil, liquefied
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or raw cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
Line a 16-ounce container with plastic wrap or cheesecloth.
Open the tofu container, drain it, and press the tofu to drain as much water as possible. (Use a tofu press or put the tofu in between two plates with a book on top. )
Put the tofu, coconut oil, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt in the food processor and process until very smooth.
Add the herbs and pulse until combined.
Transfer the mixture to the lined container and pack it in with the back of a spoon. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 8 hours until firm.