Learn more about where to eat out, recipes for cooking at home, and staying healthy on a plant-based diet.
Veg Starter Guides
We recommend several guides published by other organizations:
- Compassion Over Killing’s Vegetarian Starter Guide
- The Mercy for Animals ChooseVeg.com site
- Vegan Outreach’s Guide to Cruelty-Free Eating
These are all excellent resources full of good nutrition info, tips on shopping, recipes, and more.
If you like eating out, check out VegGuide.org, our world-wide guide to veg-friendly restaurants. With over 17,000 entries and 13,000 reviews, you’re sure to find something you like.
If you’re interested in baking, vegan baker extraordinaire EG Nelson recommends the following resources:
- veganbaking.net – this site has everything you need to know about vegan baking: recipes, FAQs, forums, and more
- The Post Punk Kitchen – in addition to recipes, this site includes Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s blog, which has lots of great info on baking.
- PeTA Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet – a great guide on how and when to use different replacements for various animal ingredients in baking.
- Fran Costigan’s Vegan Baking Guide – Fran Costigan is the professor for the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Vegan Baking Bootcamp. She was trained as a traditional pastry chef and later became vegan. She has published various vegan dessert cookbooks.
- Gluten-Free Goddess – tips for replacing animal ingredients as well as gluten-flour combinations and troubleshooting guide.
A vegan diet isn’t magically healthy. After all, a diet of potato chips, peanut butter, and grape juice is vegan, but it’s probably not very good for you. We highly recommend Ginny Messina’s Food Guide for Vegans. Also check out the VeganHealth.org site maintained by Jack Norris. This site is regularly updated with the latest research findings relevant to staying healthy on a vegan diet.
Jack and Ginny are both registered dietitians and vegan. They published the best book on vegan nutrition currently available, Vegan for Life. We highly recommend this book.
You can find a huge selection of informative videos on a wide range of nutrition topics from Dr. Michael Greger at NutritionFacts.org
Be a Better Advocate for Animals
Check out our guides and how-to’s on a variety of animal advocacy topics!