Wednesday, January 17, 2024
10:30am - 1:00pm
Simpson Housing Services Shelter
Join CAA to serve our first vegan lunch at Simpson! Simpson provides shelter to around seventy unhoused people each night, and partners with community groups to prepare meals for shelter residents. CAA will be serving our first vegan lunch at Simpson – it’s a wonderful way to care for our Minnesota community in an animal-friendly, eco-friendly, and health-conscious way.
The lunch will be at 128 W 33rd St. Minneapolis, MN 55408. We will gather at 10:30am to meet with Simpson staff and to meet and greet one another. Together, we’ll prepare two different soups and (nondairy) grilled cheese sandwiches in the kitchen, and serve food to residents. Once food service comes to a lull, we will take breaks in small shifts to eat the lunch we’ve prepared with residents. Afterwards, we’ll tidy up, and everything should be finished by one p.m.
There will be another opportunity to participate in this service the next time we do it on February 23. And we hope to make this a regular occurrence. Keep posted on our event page and social media for details.
- Please dress comfortably, with closed-toe shoes.
- We expect to serve about 25 residents.
- You can read more about the programs at Simpson Housing Services, and where serving meals fits in, at their website here.
- Please keep in mind that this is a community service event. While we may explain more about CAA’s work or or veganism if residents ask about it, it is not an outreach event. (We hope to see you in the summer for more outreach events!)
- Special thanks to volunteers Nicola and Jesse for their work in organizing this event.
- If you are interested in volunteering regularly with shelter lunch prep, or if you have any questions, please email Abbey at firstname.lastname@example.org.