Do you ever wonder how to make a good chocolate chip cookie without using butter? And how do you get that cake to be just the right amount of moist but still light and fluffy without using eggs? And what about vegan whipped cream? Is there such a thing?
Of course, all of your favorite baked goods can be made vegan with just a little know-how. And making them vegan doesn’t mean they have to be low fat, whole grain, and agave-sweetened. They can be just as decadent as you want them to be.
CAA volunteer and baking aficionado EG Nelson recommends the following resources for all your vegan baking needs:
- Veganbaking.net has everything you need to know about vegan baking, including recipes, FAQs, forums, and more.
- The Post Punk Kitchen features lots of recipes in addition to cookbook superstar Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s blog, which has lots of great info on baking.
- PETA Vegan Baking Cheat Sheet is great guide on how and when to use different replacements for various animal ingredients in baking.
- Fran Costigan’s Vegan Baking Guide features the vegan baking recommendations of Fran Costigan, the professor for the Natural Gourmet Institute’s Vegan Baking Bootcamp. She was trained as a traditional pastry chef, later became vegan, and has since published various vegan dessert cookbooks.
- Gluten-Free Goddess offers tips for replacing both animal ingredients and gluten in baked goods.
For more tips from EG, check out her blog, Hay Gurl Hay Cafe.