Compassionate Action for Animals (CAA) is delighted to announce the winners of the 2022 Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge!
The award ceremony was held at the Twin Cities Veg Fest on September 18. Twenty nine restaurants participated in the challenge and there was a special award for each one based on comments made by diners. The ratings of diners determined the top three spots.
Winners of the Vegan Chef Challenge:
1. Reverie Cafe + Bar — Korean BBQ Mock Duck Tacos
2. French Meadow on Grand — Mediterranean Kebab
3. Insane Vegan — Brisket on Texas Toast
For more information on these winners and all the other awards go to our blog.
The 2022 challenge brought over 1,000 diners to restaurants and 29 new and classic vegan dishes to diners throughout the month of August.
The fifth annual Vegan Chef Challenge will happen in 2023. Invite friends and family to join you in trying out vegan specials created for the Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge. That’s right—you can help animals and slow climate change just by eating out with friends!
What is the Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge?
Chefs and Restaurants create a vegan dish for diners to purchase, enjoy and rate online throughout August.
Diners visit participating restaurants throughout August, enjoy the challenge dishes, and rate the dishes online. This is one of many ways to win prizes from participating restaurants.
Ways to Win Prizes
- Vote-every voter is entered to win a restaurant gift certificate or swag. The more restaurants you rate and the sooner you rate them, the more likely you are to win! A winner is selected each week. You must cast your vote by September 5. Also:
- Cast the most votes—the person who rates the largest number of restaurants will win a gift certificate!
- Post photos and reviews with #tcveganchef on social media—we’ll choose a winner each week from the tagged posts! Be sure your post is public so we can find it. Also:
- Five posts on social media—the first person to publicly post about five different meals on either Facebook (tag Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge @tcveganchefchallenge) or Instagram using the #tcveganchef hashtag will win a prize!
- Post the most #tcveganchef posts on social media—you know what to do!
Diners can win multiple prizes. Winners will be announced on our social media channels and in our newsletter. (Subscribe top right). Follow us on social media by clicking the buttons below.
Choosing the Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge Champion
At the end of the challenge, a champion restaurant and other winners are selected based on the diners’ votes. The awards ceremony will be held at 3:30pm at Twin Cities VegFest on Sunday, September 18.
Want to Try More Veg Eating?
If you or your friends want to try a veg lifestyle, you can also take the fun and free 21-day Explore Veg Challenge to get a free recipe and shopping guide and email support!
2022 Participating Restaurants
Click Here for a map of participating restaurants!
|Advellum Vegetable Eatery
Wild Boomer Burger
Seared Porcini Gnocchi
Charred Napa Cabbage and Rice Noodles
The Block Food + Drink
Fried Chicken with Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Cafe Racer Kitchen
Cassava Spring Roll w/ Gazpacho &
Crispy Rice Fritter
|La Cocina de Ana
Chikn Tinga / Tinga Sin Pollo
|Crepe and Spoon
Chorizo Elote Crepe
|Duke’s on 7
Curried Cauliflower Koshimbir
French Meadow Cafe + Bluestem Bar
French Meadow on Grand
Tahini Mushroom Pasta Bowl
The Howe Daily Kitchen & Bar
Vegan Samosa Wrap
BBQ Brisket on Toasted Texas Bread
Keefer Court Bakery & Cafe
Vegan Egg Custard Tart
|Mill Valley Kitchen
Jamaican Jerk Jackfruit
Check “Locations” for events+hours
Namaste Portobello Burger
|The Naughty Greek
Falafel Pita w/ Salacious Eggplant Spread
Philly Cheese-fake Pizza
Southern Fried Seitan Sandwich
“The Mellow Mushroom” Sandwich
|Red Stag Supperclub
Pan-Roasted Cauliflower Steak
|Reverie Cafe + Bar
Korean BBQ Mock Duck Tacos
|Root to Rise
Fried Maitake and Hemp Waffles
Kale Caesar Wrap
|Stanley’s NE Bar Room
The Cauliflower Power Tacos
Sesame Glazed Crispy Tofu
|Wok in the Park
Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge in the News
- Fox 9 The Buzz, August 2021 and August 2022
- The Star Tribune in July 2021
- On MPR’s Appetites – New vegan options show growing interests at restaurants
- Kare 11 News – Namaste Cafe on the Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge
- Restaurants Get Creative in the Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge | Twin Cities Magazine
- Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge and Root To Rise on WCCO 4 News
- The Plant-Based Beard dines at Shish
- Bite-Sized Beet on the 2020 Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge
- The Jason Show – New restaurant Avocadish promotes #tcveganchef and their luscious Sweet N’ Spicy Bowl
- Mistress Ginger dines at Namaste Cafe
- Kare 11 – The Naughty Greek shares favalafel secrets and the scoop on #tcveganchef
- Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine – The Feed | July 31, 2020 and July 30, 2021
- Twin Cities Vegan Chef Challenge on Fox 9 News
- The St. Paul Pioneer Press in January 2020 and October 2019
- The Growler
- Twin Cities Chamber of Commerce Blog
- The Bite-Sized Beet
- Food Service News
- Mistress Ginger
- Keeping Up with Coco & Lala
Here’s what we heard from past voters:
- “I love this vegan chef challenge and appreciate all who participate!”
- “The Vegan Chef Challenge dish was the only vegan item on the menu. We live in the neighborhood but always have to drive to a vegan destination. We’d frequent this restaurant if they added a few vegan options.”
- “It’s the best thing I ever had there. Very satisfying and balanced and colorful and just great.”
- “Might have been the best thing I’ve eaten all year. Amazing.”
- “By far the best vegan food I have ever put in my mouth!”
- “It’s so great to have a truly delightful vegan meal in the food court with all my non vegan friends. Instead of having to settle for a basic option or a beyond burger option – I felt like I had the best meal in the group.”
- “Great shop, first time I’d been there and I can’t wait to go back!”
- “So great to see restaurants that don’t normally have as many vegan options make great vegan dish. Please have this contest every month!”
- “Some of the best food – especially for a vegan option! I can’t wait to go back again for more :)”
- “One of the best dishes I have ever had! Great experience and amazing food!”