This vegan chili recipe won Betsy Born the coveted 1st place prize at our 2013 Annual Chili Cook-Off!
- 1 Package Gimme Lean Vegan Sausage
- 1 Package Vegan Pepperoni
- 1 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 1/2 Packages Button Mushrooms
- 1/2 Large Red Onion
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Can Black Olives, sliced
- 1 1/2 Jars Pizza Sauce
- 1 12 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 3 Cans Diced, Italian-Style Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Red Wine (or Substitute 1 Cup Balsamic Vinegar)
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Fennel
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Vegetable Oil for Cooking
- Heat about 3 tbsp of vegetable oil in the bottom of a large soup pot.
- Combine the sausage with fennel, basil, oregano, red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add sausage, onion, garlic, and green peppers to pot and cook over medium heat until sausage is browned.
- In a separate pan, simmer red wine until it is reduced to half. In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil and add sliced mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms down until there is no liquid left. Add the reduced red wine and soy sauce. Saute until the mushrooms are lightly browned and most of the liquid is gone.
- Add pizza sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, and black olives to sausage mixture and simmer over medium-low heat.
- Chop the veggie pepperoni and saute lightly in 1 Tbsp oil until it starts to brown. Add to chili.
- Continue simmering the chili until it is heated through and flavors have mixed; about 1/2 hr. It may be transferred to a slow cooker to be kept warm.