This is a lovely dish when you want something more sophisticated than plain old spaghetti. The flavors of the vegetables mix nicely with the sauce–this is a great way to take advantage of all the great produce at the farmer's market. When all is said and done you'll have a beautiful meal that looks and tastes like it took much more work than it really did! Pair this with bruschetta for a full meal.
1/2 lb. whole wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 1/2 lb. chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1 head broccoli florettes, cut into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, sliced into wheels then cut into fourths
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 package MorningStar Chik'n Strips
- 1/3 C white wine
- 1 Tb non-dairy butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 stalks fresh parsley, stems removed
- dried basil, black pepper, oregano, and rosemary
- juice of half a lemon
Cook and drain pasta while preparing sauce.
Melt butter in a frying pan and add olive oil and garlic. Add onions and sautee until onions turn translucent then begin to turn golden, stirring frequently. Add chik'n strips and cook on high heat until they begin to turn golden. Squeeze lemon juice on top of chik'n. Reduce heat to medium. Add zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, and spices to taste, and sautee 3 minutes. Add wine and tomatoes. Continue cooking until wine is mostly absorbed, stirring frequently. Serve sauce over pasta and garnish with fresh basil or additional stalks of fresh parsley.