This vegan cheese recipe by Steve Leinen was featured at Twin Cities Veg Fest 2017.
Make 1 large cheese ball, about 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashew pieces, soaked in purified water overnight
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mellow white or chickpea miso
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup organic unrefined coconut oil, warmed to room temperature (not liquid)
- Sliced Almonds
Drain the cashews and sun-dried tomatoes and then rinse with fresh purified water. Drain well.
Place the soaked cashews, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, dry sherry, miso, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, onion powder, mustard powder, smoked paprika, turmeric, cayenne, and coconut oil in a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until the mixture starts to form a paste, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
Process until the mixture is completely smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally. If the mixture is getting stuck, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, but using no more than 3 tablespoons of water. This process takes up to 10 minutes in a food processor and a few minutes in a high-speed blender.
Scrape the soft cheese into a container that holds at least 2 cups. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours or until the cheese is firm.
Scrape the cheese out of the container and place on a clean surface. With your hands, form the cheese into one large ball or two or more smaller balls.
Roll your cheese ball in your desired coating of sliced almonds. (Alternatively, roll it in other crushed nuts for fresh herbs of your choice.)