A delicious tofu roast, just in time for the holidays.
3 lbs extra firm tofu 1/4 cup +
1.5 tbs arrowroot powder
3 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbs powdered agar
1/5 tbs vegan chicken bullion powder
2 tsp sage 1/5 tsp of each: thyme, onion powder, garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
Instructions for Preparing the Roast:
1. Puree all ingredients in food processor. You may need to do this in a couple batches.
2. Form in bowl using cheesecloth or towel.
3. Keep weight on it and let sit for one hour.
Instructions for Cooking the Roast:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Take tofu out of bowl and place in lightly oiled baking dish.
3. Brush the entire top of the roast with marinade and cover with tin foil. (Keeping the remaining marinade for basting later).
4. Bake for about 1.5 hours.
5. Remove from oven and let the roast cool off. Refrigerate until about 1 hour before serving.
6. About 1 hour before serving, brush with more marinade and cover with tin foil. Place in oven and bake for about 20=30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
7. Remove foil and brush with remaining marinade. Place back into oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Slice and serve with mushroom gravy and cranberry chutney. Yum!
1-2 tbs peanut oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup chopped mushroom
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 tbs gluten-free tamari
2 tsp each: sage, thyme 1 tsp each: marjoram, celery seed
5 cups fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs
vegetable broth (as needed)
salt & pepper, to taste
Instructions for Stuffing:
1. Sauté the onion until translucent.
2. Mix in the garlic until fragrant (30 sec).
3. Stir in mushrooms and celery.
4. Remove from heat and stir in tamari.
5. In a bowl mix bread crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture to the crumbs in bowl and mix well.
6. Dig hole into tofu mixture and stuff with breadcrumbs.