This salad is both delicious and inexpensive! This homemade version of a store-bought favorite gives you all the flavor you crave without breaking your budget!
For the Salad:
- 1 c. kamut, sorted, rinsed and soaked for at least 1 hour
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 a small red onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- 2 Tbsp. minced flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives
- 1/4 c. toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 c green peas
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
For the Dressing:
- Juice of 1-2 fresh lemons, about 3-4 Tbsp.
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed oil (or more olive oil)
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
After the kamut has been soaked for at least an hour, rinse it off and place it in a sauce pan covered with about 3 inches of water. Bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer, covered, for an hour. Make sure to stir it occasionally and add more water if it starts to evaporate too much. As the kamut cooks, chop all of the vegetables and herbs and place them in a large bowl with the sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl and set aside. Once the kamut is done cooking, drain it and rinse with cold water. Add the kamut and dressing into the large bowl with the vegetables and toss to combine.