- 3 28oz cans of San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (approximately 2 medium onions)
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 quarts vegan chicken stock
- Mince carrots, onion, and garlic (or chop in a food processor).
- Sauté onion in oil until just begins to become golden. Add garlic and soften – about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften. Break up with immersion blender or crush with a masher.
- Add stock, thyme, pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Cook about 50 minutes. Add minced fresh basil and turn off heat after 5 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasoning if needed.
- Top each bowl served with a fresh basil leaf.
This recipe makes 20 cups of soup, approximately 20 servings.