Yes, you really can have a delicious dairy-free pudding without using tofu. This recipe is supreme – it pleases life-long pudding fans of all persuasions. I have slightly adjusted a recipe from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook to create this easy-to-make hard-to-dislike dessert.
Need a dessert that is both satisfying and easy? Whip up some of AmyLeo Barankovich's pudding parfait for a delicious treat!
- ¾ c unrefined sugar *
- ¼ c corn starch (3/4 c if making pie)
- ¼ t sea salt
- 3 c soy milk *
- ¼ c Earth Balance Buttery Spread *
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- ¼ c coconut chips, not flakes, toasted
- 2 T grated vegan dark chocolate
- 8 T berries of your choice
- In medium saucepan whisk together sugar, corn starch and salt. Over medium to high heat slowly add non-dairy milk whisking constantly. Bring to boil, lower the heat and cover. Let boil gently for 10-15 minutes, keeping and eye on it to be sure it does not burn. You might need to stir it once in a while.
- Remove from heat and whip in Earth Balance Buttery Spread and vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl or 4 parfait or champaign glasses. Let cool slightly, garnish. Chill or eat warm.
- Variation: Add 1 cup fruit to the body of the pudding as you pour the pudding into the dessert cups. Once pudding has lightly set garnish with more berries.
- Note:I have used other non-dairy milks and none create as rich and full a flavor. However, if you cannot eat soy the pudding is still good with a different non-dairy milk.
* Unrefined Sugar – sometimes called Turbinado or Cane comes from the first pressing of the sugar cane. It has large crystals and retains some of the molasses flavor, which is a natural byproduct in the processing of white sugar. It can be interchanged in most recipes without drastically altering the integrity of the recipe. It isn't processed as much as white sugar, so it retains some trace minerals.
* Earth Balance Buttery Spread is a Non GMO (genetically modified organism), non-hydrogenated vegan buttery spread that is great in taste and healthier than margarines; it is not considered a margarine. Earth Balance Buttery Spread come in several varieties including soy, olive oil and soy free.