In Ayurvedic traditions the bitter flavor is considered to be a healthy addition to our diets. The bitterness of watercress is tamed and complimented by grilled fennel and a toasted-sesame vinaigrette.
This salad is yet another amazing and simple dish brought to us by AmyLeo Barankovich.
- 3 bunches watercress, washed and stems removed
- 1 large bulb fennel
- Refined coconut oil for sautéing
- 1 T raw sesame seeds
- 1 T Braggs Aminos*
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ T toasted sesame oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in dry cast-iron skillet. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wash fennel and cut off the very bottom and the tops – cut at the crown. Cut into 8 wedges. In a cast iron skillet lightly grill the fennel wedges in the coconut oil until it starts to soften and lightly brown, about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Place washed watercress in large salad bowl. Pour Braggs Amino Acids, balsamic vinegar and toasted sesame oil over watercress and toss until evenly coated. Top with grilled fennel, toasted sesame seeds and a few grinds of freshly ground black-pepper.