Compassionate Action for Animals (CAA) is currently hiring a 10-hours-per-week Program Assistant to begin in February 2022, with a pay rate of $15 per hour. This role offers an opportunity to expand advocacy for farmed animals in the Twin Cities metro and greater Minnesota. This position can be done entirely in the CAA office and at event locations, or can be done as a hybrid of office, home, and on-location work.
CAA is a nationally recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We have two full time staff, five part-time staff, and hundreds of volunteers who take leadership roles in moving our work forward.
We encourage people to cultivate empathy for animals and move toward a plant-based diet in order to create a world where all animals, human and non-human, can thrive. We create change by raising awareness, building community, and supporting people’s growth as advocates. Specific goals in each of these areas are outlined in our strategic plan.
The primary responsibility for the Program Assistant is to work with staff and volunteers to provide support for events that increase awareness, build community, nurture advocates, and create change for animals.You will work on each section of these responsibilities between 2 to 4 hours per week with the amount of time spent on each varying by week.
- Assist in management of the Explore Veg Challenge, a 21-day veg eating challenge
- Reach out to those who take the challenge to engage them with our Facebook page or mentor pairing
- Post in the Explore Veg Challenge Facebook group
- Other related duties as assigned
- Organize, transport, and carie for supplies needed for programs and events
- Evaluate what supplies we have on hand and create a list of what needs to be purchased for a given event
- Purchase supplies using a business credit card as needed
- Document purchases with receipts
- Transport materials of up to 30 lbs independently, and 60 lbs with assistance, up and down stairs
- Regularly charge and clean electronic devices
- Keep supply storage areas neat and organized
- Maintain event planning areas by taking out trash, recycling, and doing dishes on a weekly basis
- Support program planning and execution (2-4 hours per week)
- Create and edit pages on our website (training provided)
- Use Basecamp, a project management system, to ensure project tasks are completed
- Store related documents, such as receipts, in Google Drive
- Enter data into spreadsheets and databases
- Create brief reports using templates
- Communicate with volunteer leaders via text or email
- Create social media posts for programs and events
- There is the potential for leading event planning as you become familiar with our work and if time permits
- Participate in direct outreach as needed
- Assist at food giveaways
- Assist with video outreach
- Assist at Twin Cities Veg Fest
- Commitment to CAA’s mission and vision: encouraging people to cultivate empathy for animals and move toward a plant-based diet, in order to create a world where all animals, human and non-human, can thrive
- Maintenance of a vegan lifestyle
- Familiarity with online systems, including databases; ability to learn to use new systems
- Ability to travel on a regular basis throughout the Twin Cities metro area, at varied times of day, including early mornings, nights and weekends
- Ability to maintain an office schedule with at least three hours being worked between 8am and 6pm Monday through Friday on a weekly basis.
- Ability to lift and carry 30 pounds.
- Willingness to flex hours to work up to 20 hours for two weeks in September to help with Twin Cities Veg Fest (These will be the weeks directly before and after the festival, which will next take place on September 18, 2022)
- Ability to make a commitment of at least 9 months to the position
- Access to a vehicle with significant storage space
- Experience volunteering with CAA or other organizations
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers
- Willingness to commit to the position for a full year or longer
Hours and Vacation
- Generally you will work 10 hours per week, with the exception of the weeks around Twin Cities Veg Fest which will be 20 hours
- You will be paid once a month for 10 hours a week of work. Extra hours worked will be offset with planned reductions in hours other weeks or vacation time
- Vacation time should be scheduled with the Executive Director at least two weeks in advance
People of color are encouraged to apply. To submit an application, please send a resume and a cover letter outlining your interest, as well as your relevant experience and availability, to email@example.com with “Program Assistant 2022” in the subject line.