Did you fall in love with J. Selby’s winning Pasilla Pepper Porter Chili at the cook-off? Now you can make it at home! We recommend making the cocoa espresso pecans and cilantro lime sour cream before starting the chili—even up to a day ahead!
Pasilla Pepper Porter Chili:
- 5 dried pasilla chiles
- 5 dried hatch chiles
- 5 dried ancho chiles
- 5 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 quarts onion, diced
- Oil (of your choice)
- Medium bunch thyme, picked
- Medium bunch oregano, picked
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 2 quarts assorted bell peppers, diced
- 12oz Indeed Stir Crazy Porter
- 2 quarts black beans, cooked (from dry) or canned
- 4 quarts San Marzano canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vinegar (white or any of your choice)
- Seed and stem the dried chiles.
- Add half of the onion with the dried chilis in a pot with oil and salt to fully hydrate the dried chiles.
- Add herbs and blend to a paste.
- Sweat remaining onion in oil with garlic and bell peppers.
- Add beer and cook until reduced by half.
- Add chile paste and all remaining ingredients, then simmer until flavors are developed and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with garnishes and enjoy!!
- 1 pound of pecans
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Espresso powder
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- Make an espresso cocoa simple syrup by combining equal parts sugar and water with cocoa and espresso powders and heating until dissolved.
- Add the pecans and cook until tender, and the simple syrup fully coats the pecans without being too runny.
- Bake on a sheet tray with a wire rack for 5 minutes at 350F.
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream:
- 16oz Follow Your Heart sour cream
- Juice from one lime
- One bunch of fresh cilantro
- In a blender or food processor, combine all of the lime juice, fresh cilantro, and sour cream and blend.
- Save some fresh cilantro to garnish with the pecans and sour cream, just like the J. Selby’s team did at the cook-off!