Written by Henry Patterson
Planning on coming to the Vegan Recipe Club on July 16? Here are a few hints for some of the selected recipes to get you started:
Purple Potato Salad with Whole Grain Mustard from “The Vegucation of Robin” on page 136
July is the start of the Potato season, and August is typically the peak but you can still find Purple Potatoes around town.
At this time of the potato season you might find the purple potatoes to be on the small size, so consider doubling the quantity from 4 to 8 depending on the size of potatoes you find.
Check your local farmer’s markets starting June 29 to see if they are readily available.
I found purple potatoes in a variety pack at Lund & Byerly’s (Terrific Trio – Little Potato Company brand). I’ve been told variety packs with purple potatoes are also available at Trader Joe’s. I’ve seen a variety pack from Melissa’s Gemstone Potatoes which also has purple potatoes. You may only find 4-5 small purple potatoes in the variety packs, though. If you can’t find something in the store, check with the produce manager at your local grocery store, they might be able to order for you to pick up locally.
Blueberry Cobbler with Lime and Coconut from “Whole Food Heaven in a Bowl” on page 124 (optional recipe)
The original recipe is vegetarian, not vegan. Here are some substitutions we recommend to make it vegan (and gluten-free!).
Replace the 1/2 cup unsalted butter with one of the following:
- 1/2 cup of Earth Balance
- 1/2 cup of refined coconut oil, softened
Replace the 1 cup of whole milk with one of the following:
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of lite coconut milk
- 1 cup of other non-dairy milk (i.e. almond, soy, rice milk, etc.) look for unflavored or plain varieties
Replace the optional ice cream/whipped cream with one of the following:
- Vegan ice cream, (Soy Dream, Rice Dream or something similar)
- Vegan Whipped Cream, Reddi Whip makes a few non-dairy whipped creams (almond and coconut, etc.)
If you’re planning on making the recipe gluten-free:
Replace the 2 cups of whole wheat self-rising flour with a gluten-free flour blend OR try out this gluten-free flour blend recipe:
- (Whisk together all of the following)
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup sweet rice flour (Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour works well, and is available at most Asian Markets, and some larger grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (tapioca starch)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon