If you attended our first Vegan Recipe Cookbook Club in July, thank you. If you didn’t attend and are not sure what it is or who it’s for check out our first blog post.
Our next Vegan Recipe Cookbook Club meeting is scheduled for this Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 6:30pm at the East Lake Library. This month’s recipes are simple and easy to make. You can pick up the recipe pack in person from the library or download them here for use at home.
This month we will explore a few more recipes from “The Vegucation of Robin” by Robin Quivers and Rachel Holtzman and we’ve also picked a cookbook from Angela Liddon, of the Oh She Glows Blog—one of her first recipe collections, “The Oh She Glows Cookbook” from 2014.
The Vegucation of Robin is as much a personal lifestyle book as it is a collection of recipes. It shouldn’t be lost to anyone that the subtitle of her book is “How Real Food Saved My Life.” Robin Quivers’ switch to a vegan or plant-based diet was a fundamental part her health-improvement goals. While going through the recipes, you may notice that some of the ingredients might be hard to come by at our typical midwest grocery store or farmers market. This might force us to substitute a few of the ingredients for items more readily available near us or during the season. Below is a list of where to look for some of the more difficult to find ingredients.
- Fennel Bulbs — normally available at Trader Joe’s
- Cara Cara Orange — at most Cub Grocery stores
- Pomegranate seeds — at most Cub Grocery stores (with pre-packaged items)
- Blood Oranges — Lund Byerly’s (in season)
- Also get to know the produce manager at your favorite grocery store, they might just order that hard to find item for you.
If you decide to try the Fruity Freezer Pops optional recipe this month, small paper cups make great disposable molds for your freezer pops.
Have fun trying any of the recipes and come to the meeting on the 20th to tell us what you learned and share your knowledge with other interested cooks!
- Chilled Cucumber Mint Soup, page 131
- Citrus Salad with Roasted Fennel and Pomegranate, page 133
- Mixed Veggie Grill with Tangy BBQ Sauce, page 174
- Scallion – Tomato Tofu Scramble, page 211
- Fruity Freezer Pops, page 221