Did you know that you can help farmed animals with a tweet?
We have an opportunity to make a long-term impact on issues related to animal protection and the environmental damage caused by industrial agriculture. You can help by tweeting our message.
CAA is working with 30 groups, led by Mercy for Animals, to change the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI). Help reach Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack with our nominations for new members. We need your voice.
NACMPI advises the Secretary on farmed animal slaughter, food inspection, and food safety. Three-quarters of current members are connected to the agriculture industry. Their concern is cheap meat without regard to animal suffering or environmental damage.
Now is our opportunity to change that! Our coalition has nominated two individuals who do care about these issues. Their expertise and experience will bring unheard views to the table and lead to change. Our nominees:
- Prof. Delcianna Winders, animal law program director and visiting associate professor at Vermont Law School, is not only one of the country’s most distinguished experts on meat-processing law, with numerous publications in leading journals, but a steadfast advocate for animal protection, worker safety, food safety, and the environment.
- Dr. Parthapratim “Pat” Basu is widely recognized as one of the foremost authorities on issues in our meat-processing system that impact food safety, worker safety, animal welfare, and the environment owing to his more than four decades of award-winning public service—including in his previous role as chief public health veterinarian at the Food Safety and Inspection Service.
It is up to Secretary Vilsack to make the appointment of new members of NACMPI. Now is the time to raise crucial issues with him and work for the appointment of these respected experts who will move animal, human and environmental welfare to the forefront. Even one of these voices on the committee would move the industry toward more transparent regulation of the food industry.
CAA is calling on its supporters to tweet their support of these nominations. Sample language is included below.
Together we can have our voices heard. The meat industry has money behind them but we have the truth and the dedication to see justice and sustainability in our food system. Act now to make an impact. Reform is within our grasp.
Together we can have our voices heard–one tweet at a time!
- Secretary Vilsack, when appointing members to the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection (NACMPI) this year, please ensure the committee is “fairly balanced” as required by federal law. Appoint Prof. Delcianna Winders and Dr. Pat Basu to the NACMPI!
- Secretary Vilsack, now’s your chance to break up industry domination of the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection by appointing Prof. Delcianna Winders and Dr. Pat Basu—who have animal protection experience—to the committee.
- Secretary Vilsack, it’s time the USDA followed federal law and made the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection “fairly balanced.” Prof. Delcianna Winders and Dr. Pat Basu have expertise in animal protection—appoint them now!
- Secretary Vilsack, don’t let Big Ag onto the National Advisory Committee on Meat and Poultry Inspection. Appoint Prof. Delcianna Winders and Dr. Pat Basu, who have expertise in animal protection, instead!
For more information on the coalition being led by Mercy for Animals, read here: